Thursday, June 01, 2006

Catch me when I'm falling...

Today I witnessed an alcoholic hitting rock bottom (I think).
The judge told her she couldn't get her child back. Ever.
The saddest part is that when she's sober, she's a GREAT parent.
But the power of fear, shame, lonliness, worthlessness and guilt that fuel addiction were too strong.
I can't help but feel that we are all a little bit responsible. Not for her actions and choices, but for the little things we do (or fail to do) each day that contribute to a culture where people are left to face their demons alone, where people turn to substances to replace the love and human connection they aren't getting, where we comfort ourselves with the thought, "I didn't do anything wrong" but never challenge ourselves with the question, "Am I doing things right?"

Nobody's perfect. But, that's just it- NOBODY is perfect. Not you. Not me. Not her.

After we left the court, she called to say she was going into detox.
14 months too late.

Who
catches
you
on
your
way
to
your
own
rock bottom?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home