Wednesday, February 14, 2007

You work here, right?

For some reason, people are always approaching me as if I know something.
Seriously, I have been walking down major roads, minding my own business, and cars pull over to ask me directions. I've been stopped in stores and on sidewalks..this even happened when I was wandering the streets in Spain. I didn't even speak the language, but this did not deter the information seeker. "What, are you American?" he asked, switching from Spanish to English. "Yes" I responded and he looked at me as if to say, "well, tell me in English then!"
Which I did.

Being a former tour guide, and general "know-it-all" type, this doesn't really bother me. And those who know me well will agree that I can sound pretty convincing even if I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. (Several of my close friends have developed the habit of asking, "do you really know or are you making that up?) But this does not explain why total strangers seem to think I will be able to help them.
I guess I'll take comfort in the idea that I at least appear to know what I'm doing in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home