Saturday, November 09, 2013

Keaton, Alex P.

So I don't really have a great track record of making the most of my annual retreats.  This year was no different.  Besides having brain-bending migraines, I accidentally discovered that I could stream Netflix free through my computer.  This kicked-off a tv binge the likes of which even I could not have predicted.
I caught up and re-watched a variety of programming long after the retreat was over.  But it was one show in particular that turned this vice into an unexpected catalyst for reflection.
How long has it been since you've seen an episode of Family Ties?
Growing up I didn't realize how nearly every episode grappled with issues of the day--in a very after-school special-y way--but still pretty well.  There was a message in the show.  The message was that people matter.  Talk to each other.  Be good to each other.  The bonds of family are important.  Don't take life or your loved ones for granted.
Remember the episode when Mallory went with Alex up to Princeton to surprise her boyfriend?  I remembered that she saw him kissing someone else and she freaked out.  I remember how funny it was that she kept interrupting her brother's meeting with her cow-sounding sobs...I forgot that he abandoned his shot at Princeton because his sister was hurting and needed him.  And he didn't resent her for it.
But for all the gooey sweetness of the show, it was funny.
Really funny.
A brilliant way to communicate positive messages to a generation of tv watchers.

The masterpiece episode was A My Name is Alex.  Even as a kid I knew that was "a very special Family Ties." I dare you to watch it without crying...ok, most of you probably could, but I dare you to watch it while PMSing hundreds of miles away from all your family and friends without crying.

Its easy to pick on stupid shit like Jersey Shore or My Bazillion-dollar Sweet Sixteen (or whatever), but when did we decide to settle for mindless entertainment that seems more interested in promoting our base desires instead of our higher ideals? 

I miss Alex P. Keaton.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home