Monday, July 27, 2009

Something, not Anything.

"What do you want to do?"
"I don't know/care, what do you want to do?"
"I'm up for anything/whatever/whatever you want to do"
etc...

I've had a few of these conversations in my life.
I'm guessing you have too.

The problem, of course, is that "anything" is too vague.
It's an endless possibility.
Until a decision is made to do something,
anything remains nothing.

I was thinking about this the other day after a particularly stressful conversation in which I was trying to figure out how to cram 6months' worth of visiting into two days. I was in town and available to do "anything" --I ended up spending most of the day alone because I did not plan a "something." Thankfully, my sister gave me the proverbial kick in the pants and got something planned-which turned out to be a very nice evening with most of the family.

But the whole experience got me thinking about these long, excruciating "seminary" days...it's a whole lot of "anything" time---preparing for anything that may come up, anywhere I may be sent, anyone I may live with, anything I'll be asked to do. Right now, the anything remains a vague and endless possibility and therefore feels a lot like nothing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I think most people, I know I do, have trouble w/ anything time... we need and crave structure.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Amelia said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that on some weekends I look forward to going back to a job I loathe just because it is back to a schedule. I think that's why I love Sunday's the best. There is some structure (church, sometimes family dinner) but also some me time. Open Saturday's where I have all the time in world sometimes create more anxiety for me.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home