Saturday, November 11, 2006

Bad Boss

You know you've done it. We all have. You've sat there fantasizing about a the moment where you tell your boss just exactly what you think of him/her and what he/she can do with the WENUS (a true FRIENDS lover should get the reference). Yet, for most of us, it's just a fantasy. Common sense gets the better of us; we decide we'd like to continue being employed at the moment or some similar rational thing. Having imagined my own "take this job and shove it" moment several times over the past few years, I had never stopped to think about what it might be like to be on the receiving end...until yesterday. Our secretary's last day.

Let's just say, she's in tune with Johnny Paycheck.

But here's the twist...I found it helpful. I think I'm a pretty good boss, and other people have told me that. (Of course, it's hard to get the truth from people who rely on your evaluation to determine their raise). But on her way out the door, the secretary told the truth. And although it's never pleasant to hear about your weeknesses, surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I appreciated it. And I found it humorus. And I hope I'll be a better boss in the future.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carmen said...

You have a good perspectiv eon this. I wish I could be so gracious!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's awesome though I'm sorry that it was you who was the recipient!

6:19 PM  
Blogger smurp said...

weeknesses...like spelling.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home