Well Done, America!
Each election cycle in my brief voting career has been pretty much the same.
I look at a Bush or a Clinton and compare him to his major party opponent.
I lament that "the media" (as useful a scapegoat as the infamous "they") promote negativity and sound-byte-sized group think.
I grow bitter and cynical.
I struggle to discern the lesser of two evils and find myself on decision day rolling my eyes and, with a great sigh, voting for whomever has repelled me the least.
But not this year.
For the first time in my life, I am actually excited about the candidates...all of them. I'm excited about having a national discussion about ideas, policies, and how to bring about the best in our country.
Good is on the move!
Republicans are nominating a woman; Democrats are promoting personal responsibility. The Libertarian convention is getting media attention...well, at least on C-Span...but what's more than any particular point, is the reality that the TONE of the discussion has been elevated.
As Bill Cosby emphatically exhorts us to "Come On, People" it seems, the people are coming on...
I still reserve the fear that the next administration will be plagued by the corrupting siren song of power, but--for the moment-- I sit back and listen to the honest exchange of ideas, and I say, "Well Done, America!"
I look at a Bush or a Clinton and compare him to his major party opponent.
I lament that "the media" (as useful a scapegoat as the infamous "they") promote negativity and sound-byte-sized group think.
I grow bitter and cynical.
I struggle to discern the lesser of two evils and find myself on decision day rolling my eyes and, with a great sigh, voting for whomever has repelled me the least.
But not this year.
For the first time in my life, I am actually excited about the candidates...all of them. I'm excited about having a national discussion about ideas, policies, and how to bring about the best in our country.
Good is on the move!
Republicans are nominating a woman; Democrats are promoting personal responsibility. The Libertarian convention is getting media attention...well, at least on C-Span...but what's more than any particular point, is the reality that the TONE of the discussion has been elevated.
As Bill Cosby emphatically exhorts us to "Come On, People" it seems, the people are coming on...
I still reserve the fear that the next administration will be plagued by the corrupting siren song of power, but--for the moment-- I sit back and listen to the honest exchange of ideas, and I say, "Well Done, America!"

1 Comments:
Did we write out blog entries at the same time?!! I think we expressed the same sentiment. I hadn't read yours first, but as soon as I posted, I saw your post. Too funny!!
Post a Comment
<< Home