What If God Was One of Us?
The other night I had a dream that I had a chance to ask the Pope a question, but I couldn't think of one...I don't know what that means, except that UNLIKE my chance to see Mother Teresa in 1996 [which I stupidly skipped out on thinking I'd see her next time...duh] I DID take advantage of the opportunity to go to the welcoming ceremony for the birthday boy on the South Lawn of the White House today.
I didn't get a chance to ask any questions, but I did get to sing happy birthday to the Pope, witness an important moment in history, and see the look on the Pope's face when the President referred to the "dictatorship of moral relativism" [coming soon to a soundbite near you].
I also had an interesting theological discussion with friends about the "degree of offense" against people in various roles/positions. That may be why I couldn't get the lyrics to Joan Osborne's song out of my head all afternoon...especially on the heels of my trip to the washed-out regions of New Orleans (more to come on that):
one of us by joan osborne
if God had a name... what would it be?
and would you call it to his face if you were faced with him in all his glory --
what would you ask if you had just one question?
yeah... God is great yeah... God is good
what if God was one of us? just a slob like one of us?
just a stranger on the bus trying to make his way home
if God had a face, what would it look like?
and would you want to see... if seeing meant that you would have to believe,
in things like heaven and in Jesus and the saints and all the prophets
what if God was one of us? just a slob like one of us?
just a stranger on the bus
trying to make his way home like up to heaven all alone
nobody calling on the phone 'cept for the pope maybe in rome
I wonder if Joan ever read the Gospel of Matthew in chapter 25 where Jesus says "Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me."
I didn't get a chance to ask any questions, but I did get to sing happy birthday to the Pope, witness an important moment in history, and see the look on the Pope's face when the President referred to the "dictatorship of moral relativism" [coming soon to a soundbite near you].
I also had an interesting theological discussion with friends about the "degree of offense" against people in various roles/positions. That may be why I couldn't get the lyrics to Joan Osborne's song out of my head all afternoon...especially on the heels of my trip to the washed-out regions of New Orleans (more to come on that):
one of us by joan osborne
if God had a name... what would it be?
and would you call it to his face if you were faced with him in all his glory --
what would you ask if you had just one question?
yeah... God is great yeah... God is good
what if God was one of us? just a slob like one of us?
just a stranger on the bus trying to make his way home
if God had a face, what would it look like?
and would you want to see... if seeing meant that you would have to believe,
in things like heaven and in Jesus and the saints and all the prophets
what if God was one of us? just a slob like one of us?
just a stranger on the bus
trying to make his way home like up to heaven all alone
nobody calling on the phone 'cept for the pope maybe in rome
I wonder if Joan ever read the Gospel of Matthew in chapter 25 where Jesus says "Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home