Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A More Perfect Union

All over the city there was a palpable feeling of jumbled emotion that accompanies the making of history. At my polling place, a small school multi-purpose room that was virtually empty during the primary, a line spilled out the door and wrapped around the corner, filled, in part, by "unlikely voters."

I experienced a brief moment of anger/fear/confusion/and...I have to admit, hatred, when the wildly incompetent poll worker told me she could not find my name among the registration rolls.
"This must be what so many before me have felt when their votes were not permitted" I thought to myself. But the sensation was fleeting as it quickly became clear that her incompetence was merely coincidental and I was ushered to a different line, my name "found" and my ballot valid.

For the first time in memory, I was torn between two goods instead of two evils...and said a prayer, made my decisions and cast my vote. As I walked out I couldn't help smiling. Freedom. What a phenomenal feeling. All day long people greeted each other with, "did you vote?" And all day long people said "I did" or "I'm going now." The usual apathy was nowhere to be found.

When asked who he thought would win, one columnist answered, "I think the American people will win" and I have to agree. The issues matter, and where our President-elect stands on these issues is critically important. But today, one of the greatest issues, integrity of our process was put to the test. And passed. The American people have spoken. And even those who can't rejoice in a victory for their candidate, can rejoice in a victory for democracy. It is not a voice that cries out, but it is in the sweat of our brows and the work of our hands that we build a community, a country, a world in which we can be proud to live.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carmen said...

Beautifully Said!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That was great... you're such a good writer! You should work for a yearbook:)

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home