i didn't see that one coming...
You know how people say, "I had the weirdest dream..." and then go on to tell you all about it?
This post is going to be a lot like that.
It wasn't the "weirdest" dream...but it was significant.
I dream a lot. When I remember my dreams (or even part of them) I write them down and try to figure out what my subconscious is telling me.
Last night it was telling me, "you watch too much CSI" (which is not true, actually, I hardly ever watch CSI, but I did happen to watch it last night--maybe once is too much.)
So there I was happily dreaming about gangs and murder and gang rape and other assorted horrific things, but in a tv-crime-show manner not in a this-feels-real-and-scary manner. In the dream I've gotten away from the crime activity and I'm heading home (on foot) through a lovely residential neighborhood reminiscent of Baltimore. Some kids are starting a pick-up basketball game when they realize a group of teens is coming and they will have to give up the court.
The kids use a racist word and I decide it is my job to correct this behavior.
I demand to know the little boy's name, but he remains stoic and tells me nothing. After repeated demands go unanswered, the girl asks my name.
"I'm Sr. Murphy" I tell her while keeping my focus on the little boy. "Where do you live?" I ask him and "Who do you live with?" I'm thinking I'll tell his parents what he said if he lives with them. He indicates that he lives with 30 dogs. And starts to leave.
Then the little boy turns around and says, "Sr. Murphy, will you pray for me?"
I'm thinking about the 30 dogs. He's scared to go home.
All my anger forgotten, I get down on his level and hug him. "What's your name?" I ask this time full of compassion. I want to pray for him by name. He doesn't hesitate to tell me.
"Ryan Foucoult"
"I WILL pray for you," I tell him, "but Ryan, you should pray too. God wants to hear directly from you. And he starts sobbing.
And I wake up.
This post is going to be a lot like that.
It wasn't the "weirdest" dream...but it was significant.
I dream a lot. When I remember my dreams (or even part of them) I write them down and try to figure out what my subconscious is telling me.
Last night it was telling me, "you watch too much CSI" (which is not true, actually, I hardly ever watch CSI, but I did happen to watch it last night--maybe once is too much.)
So there I was happily dreaming about gangs and murder and gang rape and other assorted horrific things, but in a tv-crime-show manner not in a this-feels-real-and-scary manner. In the dream I've gotten away from the crime activity and I'm heading home (on foot) through a lovely residential neighborhood reminiscent of Baltimore. Some kids are starting a pick-up basketball game when they realize a group of teens is coming and they will have to give up the court.
The kids use a racist word and I decide it is my job to correct this behavior.
I demand to know the little boy's name, but he remains stoic and tells me nothing. After repeated demands go unanswered, the girl asks my name.
"I'm Sr. Murphy" I tell her while keeping my focus on the little boy. "Where do you live?" I ask him and "Who do you live with?" I'm thinking I'll tell his parents what he said if he lives with them. He indicates that he lives with 30 dogs. And starts to leave.
Then the little boy turns around and says, "Sr. Murphy, will you pray for me?"
I'm thinking about the 30 dogs. He's scared to go home.
All my anger forgotten, I get down on his level and hug him. "What's your name?" I ask this time full of compassion. I want to pray for him by name. He doesn't hesitate to tell me.
"Ryan Foucoult"
"I WILL pray for you," I tell him, "but Ryan, you should pray too. God wants to hear directly from you. And he starts sobbing.
And I wake up.

1 Comments:
Wow!! Ever look up the name?
Post a Comment
<< Home