Talitha koum!
As evidenced by my poor performance in grad school I am no Biblical scholar.
Fortunately, even my feeble mind occasionally gleans some benefit from reflecting on scripture. And our buddy Mark helped me see what I needed to see this past week.
Someone read Mark 5:21-43 outloud and we listened to a story that started with a man begging healing for his dying little girl but is interrupted by a woman who reaches out and grabs Jesus' cloak to get some healing for herself and then comes back to the little girl who seems dead, but is healed. I wracked my brain trying to remember what I had learned about the story-within-a-story because I knew that a discussion was imminent and I would have to have something to say. It's not a glamorous or holy reason to reflect, but since I am neither glamorous nor holy this should not surprise anyone.
I just needed something to say to avoid sounding like an idiot. In God's great wisdom I was granted a flash of insight that was very meaningful to me and which, nonetheless, came out sounding idiotic when I had to speak. It's ok. I'll take it.
So here's to faith over fear.
The girl is not dead.
She is merely asleep.
Fortunately, even my feeble mind occasionally gleans some benefit from reflecting on scripture. And our buddy Mark helped me see what I needed to see this past week.
Someone read Mark 5:21-43 outloud and we listened to a story that started with a man begging healing for his dying little girl but is interrupted by a woman who reaches out and grabs Jesus' cloak to get some healing for herself and then comes back to the little girl who seems dead, but is healed. I wracked my brain trying to remember what I had learned about the story-within-a-story because I knew that a discussion was imminent and I would have to have something to say. It's not a glamorous or holy reason to reflect, but since I am neither glamorous nor holy this should not surprise anyone.
I just needed something to say to avoid sounding like an idiot. In God's great wisdom I was granted a flash of insight that was very meaningful to me and which, nonetheless, came out sounding idiotic when I had to speak. It's ok. I'll take it.
So here's to faith over fear.
The girl is not dead.
She is merely asleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home