O What A Night!
I could hear the wind whistling through barren tree branched outside, shaking the whole house.
It was a wicked winter storm.
Incredible to hear.
I snuggled deeper under my electric blanket.
It was the type of weather I once loved,
like a raging thunderstorm--dramatic and lively.
But this night it only made me think of Kenneth.
Surely, someone would have taken him inside.
Surely, he made it to a shelter.
It's only 16 degrees.
I said a silent prayer that he was warm and pulled my own blankets a little tighter around me.
What a night.
Frozen, but not quite to death.
The staff of the community center dragged Kenneth in from the porch when they found him there the next morning. Soiled, frostbitten, drunk.
What a night.
As the hypothermia subsided under heated blankets in the ER, attention turned to underlying causes. Is this hitting bottom? What if they have to amputate your feet?
Forty years of pain numbed by a bottle that only brings you deeper into your own personal hell.
The darkest of nights.
There is a way out.
Nearly blind, but you still can tell dark from light.
Can your soul feel it's worth?
O holy night.
It was a wicked winter storm.
Incredible to hear.
I snuggled deeper under my electric blanket.
It was the type of weather I once loved,
like a raging thunderstorm--dramatic and lively.
But this night it only made me think of Kenneth.
Surely, someone would have taken him inside.
Surely, he made it to a shelter.
It's only 16 degrees.
I said a silent prayer that he was warm and pulled my own blankets a little tighter around me.
What a night.
Frozen, but not quite to death.
The staff of the community center dragged Kenneth in from the porch when they found him there the next morning. Soiled, frostbitten, drunk.
What a night.
As the hypothermia subsided under heated blankets in the ER, attention turned to underlying causes. Is this hitting bottom? What if they have to amputate your feet?
Forty years of pain numbed by a bottle that only brings you deeper into your own personal hell.
The darkest of nights.
There is a way out.
Nearly blind, but you still can tell dark from light.
Can your soul feel it's worth?
O holy night.

1 Comments:
Such a sad story and so common. The internal demons that people face and try to self medicate away are really, to me, one of the scariest things, and so hard to treat. I think sometimes all you can do is keep pulling the person in from the cold.
Post a Comment
<< Home