Say Cheese!
I miss the sarcastic, focused, idealism of home, a place where words are cheap and the only thing that matters is action.
I miss the way I used to be able to conduct business transactions with people through windows without them so much as glancing in my direction, let alone speaking directly to me. I didn't know them, they didn't know me and neither of us pretended to care otherwise.
In the small, mid-western hell I inhabit these days, I am grilled on my health, family, and feelings about the weather in exchange for the release of my burger and fries.
I liked living in a city where how I am doing today was nobody else's business and "fine" was considered a dissertation-length response, where to make eye-contact was akin to threatening your children and would be met with the same fierce reaction.
I miss the days where I didn't even notice the existence of birds outside my window, let alone which birds were there and what their dietary preferences were.
Mostly, I miss being in a place where I was free to express my feelings in the way I spent my time, money and energy. Where the people I loved knew they were my priority because the precious commodity of "free time" was dedicated to them. I never had to say "I miss you" because I could stop by. I never had to say "I'm thinking about you" because if they needed me I was there. And I never had to say "I love you" because it was obvious.
So, although the words are cheap and hollow sounding, even to me...they are all I have:
I miss you.
I'm thinking of you.
I love you.
I miss the way I used to be able to conduct business transactions with people through windows without them so much as glancing in my direction, let alone speaking directly to me. I didn't know them, they didn't know me and neither of us pretended to care otherwise.
In the small, mid-western hell I inhabit these days, I am grilled on my health, family, and feelings about the weather in exchange for the release of my burger and fries.
I liked living in a city where how I am doing today was nobody else's business and "fine" was considered a dissertation-length response, where to make eye-contact was akin to threatening your children and would be met with the same fierce reaction.
I miss the days where I didn't even notice the existence of birds outside my window, let alone which birds were there and what their dietary preferences were.
Mostly, I miss being in a place where I was free to express my feelings in the way I spent my time, money and energy. Where the people I loved knew they were my priority because the precious commodity of "free time" was dedicated to them. I never had to say "I miss you" because I could stop by. I never had to say "I'm thinking about you" because if they needed me I was there. And I never had to say "I love you" because it was obvious.
So, although the words are cheap and hollow sounding, even to me...they are all I have:
I miss you.
I'm thinking of you.
I love you.

3 Comments:
I miss you. I'm thinking of you. I love you, too! Please write or call and tell me when to come to Emmittsburg to see you!
Miss you too. Ahh... to love in one of the most unfriendly cities in the world. How lucky, I am.
i'm glad to know someone else likes the impersonality of the big city...it drives me crazy when i go down south and people try to talk to me!
love you!
Post a Comment
<< Home